Friday, August 2, 2013

Cleaning with Barbie & "Pre-planning"

 
   Yesterday I took an hour or so to sort through my daughter's big, messy, Barbie bin.  It was a monster junk pile. Just organizing and taking out things that don't belong, trash.  Sorting.  Dressing any naked Barbies just for the sake of politeness.  Sometimes it was hard to find matching outfits.  That led me to sort the clothes by season and by separates: tops in one stack, disco mini-dresses in another, and so on.  I did take a few minutes to apply accessories.  It's integral to dressing them.  As long as I'd started, I might as well find the right shoes.  Usually platform pumps, but sometimes a lace-to-the-knee boot is an exciting choice.  Do you know how to make dorky Ken look much more attractive?  You put him in a pair of nerdy, black rimmed glasses.  I'm telling you, it's transformative!  And guess who just happened to have a pair of black rimmed nerd glasses that fit just right?    That right......ME!.....uh.....my daughter, I mean.

     Once everyone was dressed and sorted out I thought it would be a really fun idea to arrange the Barbies in the doll house in interesting vignettes.  Then my daughter can find them like that when she gets back from her Grandparents' house.  What fun!  So I had a couple girls in the kitchen having tea and birthday cake.  Newly hot, hipster Ken lounging on the fainting sofa while Ballerina Barbie plays the electric guitar in the living room.  A little cocktail party on the upstairs patio.  Adding to the excitement is a royal couple riding in a horse-drawn carriage just in front of he house.  What are the odds!  A Barbie photo-journalist catching the scene from the street with her snazzy hot pink camera.  And  a couple of beach babes whizzing by in a speedboat.  Um, yeah, the water is vaguely out there somewhere.



  So what I wanted to say is that I played Barbies, by myself, in my daughter's room, for over an hour yesterday.



  Sorry bills and laundry, I had important "cleaning" to do. :)








     One more thing.  The other day I was driving and noticed a billboard about "Pre-planning your Burial Arrangements".  Pre-planning?  Isn't the "Pre" already included in the word "planning"?  Isn't the very nature of planning to think about something "pre" the acutal event?

Dying: Think about giving it some thought. 


     I think if you go to their office and buy a burial package....you are just planning your burial.  There.  It's all planned.  Pre-planning is maybe what you do when you just look at the billboard and wonder if you should think about planning your burial.  Right?  Maybe their slogan could be, "When you think it's time to think about planning, plan to think of us."  Catchy.

        

     

No comments: